The fine print
Numan: Terms of Sale
The Numan website is owned and operated by Vir Health Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales with company number 11449267 and registered office at Floor 4, Farringdon Point, 33 Farringdon Road, London, England, EC1M 3JF.
These Terms of Sale as well as those additional terms and conditions and policies referenced herein and/or available by hyperlink, affect your legal rights and obligations so please read them carefully. You agree to be bound by these Terms of Sale when you purchase products or services from us. If you do not agree to be bound by these Terms of Sale, do not purchase products or services from us.
We’re at your disposal if you need any help or have any questions regarding our products and services. Simply drop an email to [email protected] or give us a call on 0808 169 9594.
We reserve the right to update, change or replace any part of these Terms of Sale from time to time at our discretion. If we do so, the updated version will be effective as soon as it is accessible on our website. Please review these Terms of Sale before each order you place so that you are aware of any changes to them. Your continued use of Numan’s products and/or services following the posting of any changes constitutes acceptance of those changes.
2. Other applicable terms
As a healthcare service, we have to comply with a series of regulatory requirements, including the Health and Social Care Act 2008. We are registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) under registration number is 1-6118870417.
Our clinicians are all registered and regulated by relevant UK regulator including but not limited to the General Medical Council, the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) and the Nursing and Midwifery Council. We use pharmacies registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council to carry out dispensing on our behalf.
We also work with partner pathology labs to analyse all blood samples. Our diagnostic laboratory testing partners are UKAS accredited.
4. ID verification
If your treatment includes a prescription only medicine, we will verify your identity automatically once your prescription has been approved by a member of our clinical team.
Our verification partners are:
Our verification partners will match your data to a database of public resources to determine whether the information you have provided us is indeed correct. The data we pass on to our verification partners are the following:
- First name and last name.
- Date of birth.
If we are unable to verify your identity in this way, you will receive an email asking you to provide us with a copy of your passport, driver's licence, birth certificate or residence permit. These are all securely stored with Numan and are required in order to process your order if the verification carried out by our verification partners fails.
5. Our online consultations
Some of our products and services require you to complete an online consultation (this includes a short questionnaire about your health and wellbeing that you take before receiving treatment). You must complete the online consultation truthfully and to the best of your knowledge. The online consultation should be completed by you, for you. It is very important that if you are unsure of an answer, you check it with your regular healthcare provider, eg GP. We and our partners, including our prescribers, will rely on your responses for the purposes of medical assessment and to determine if the treatment is suitable for you.
If you don’t understand something in the questionnaire, please contact us and we’ll give you any information you need
You should always tell your GP about any treatment and medication we supply. We will give you the option of passing on your information to your GP during the online consultation process.
By signing up with Numan you are creating an electronic patient record within Numan which will contain the following information:
- Your personal details.
- Your treatments, consultations and test results.
You acknowledge and agree that we may archive your electronic patient records including your personal information and treatments for a minimum of 8 years following your last order or prescription.
If there are any changes in your medical condition (new diagnosis, new medication, etc.) you are required to email [email protected] to let us know. Any updates in your medical situation could affect your suitability for treatment.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password and for restricting access to your computer to prevent unauthorised access to your account. Please contact us if you believe that someone has accessed your account without your permission.
Please do not register more than one account with Numan and be sure to give us your correct name, address, date of birth, email and telephone number. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of your account.
7. Buying Products
You must be at least 18 years of age to make any purchases on Numan and you must be a resident in the United Kingdom. We deliver products only to addresses in the United Kingdom. We reserve the right to cancel your order if you are using an address forwarding service. This is to ensure that we are restricting access to our services in geographies outside of the United Kingdom.
If you order a product that is a non-prescription medicine, you may still need to take an online consultation. In some cases, you may not need to take an online consultation and you will be charged for the product after placing your order. All products are subject to availability. We will inform you as soon as possible if the products ordered are not available and we will refund you all sums paid.
At the end of the online consultation, you may be given the option to show a preference for a treatment option. Our clinical team and licensed prescribers need to know about your condition, any medication you may currently be using, potential allergies, and anything else that can help them assess whether the treatment you've selected is the right one for you.
A member of our clinical team will review your responses and assess your suitability for treatment. We may contact you via email for additional information if necessary. If you fail to respond to a request for more information, we may reject your request for a treatment.
We aim to process your request within 24 hours.
If we decide that your selected treatment is not suitable for you, we will reject your prescription and you will be notified via email. You will also be informed of the reasons for this rejection. Please note, if your request for treatment is rejected, you will not be charged. We only charge for approved prescriptions.
If we determine you are suitable for treatment, a prescription will be issued in your name. You will be charged for this prescription and your first prescription delivery will be passed on to our partner pharmacy.
Please note that professional codes of conduct and legal restrictions may limit the quantity and frequency of any product we and/or our partner pharmacy are permitted to supply to you.
Please note that for safety reasons, we do not accept returns of prescription medicines. In order to cancel your order:
- If this is your first order and your prescription has not been processed yet, please email [email protected] and we will be able to instruct our clinical team to reject your order. You will not be charged.
- You may only return prescription medicine to us in the event that we have made a mistake in fulfilling your order or your order is not as described, or is damaged or faulty in some way.
Most prescriptions are issued on a repeat basis.
The exact number of your repeat allowance is entirely dependent on our clinician’s medical assessment of your online consultation.
Your repeat prescription will expire in the two following cases, whichever comes first:
- After you have exhausted all of your repeats, or
- After the duration of your prescription has expired. For example, a prescription for 6 repeats expires 6 months after it is issued, and a prescription for 3 repeats expires 3 months after it is issued.
You will receive an email before your prescription expires to inform you of this. It will also include information on what steps to take in order to renew it.
You can cancel or pause your prescription indefinitely at any time by contacting customer services at [email protected]. Alternatively, you can go to your Numan account, select your prescription under the "treatments" tab, and turn off automatic refills yourself. Once you have paused or cancelled your subscription, you will no longer receive (or be charged for) automatically recurring prescriptions. However, please note that payment is taken 48 hours before your order is due to be sent out. If your medication has already been dispensed, we will be unable to issue you a refund.
Please note that we cannot dispense more medication than permitted on your prescription. You will therefore not usually be able to get more than one repeat every 30 days, unless it is clinically indicated and prescribed by one of our clinicians
Where possible, we will aim to align your billing and prescription frequency.
Please note that any changes to your prescription frequency is subject to our clinician’s medical assessment.
We reserve the right to cancel your subscription and not supply you with any further medication or products if you notify us of any significant side effects or adverse change in your medical condition, and we shall cancel your subscription if you inform us that you do not wish to receive further medication.
Testosterone Deficiency Treatment
Unlike Numan’s other treatment offerings, at the end of the online consultation, you will not have the option to order products. Instead, a member of our clinical team, will review your responses and continue to assess your suitability for treatment. The clinical team may request that you complete a capillary blood test and/or a venous blood test at regular intervals as well as attend home nurse visits, clinic visits and a consultation with a doctor. Following this assessment, we will make a diagnosis and advise you of the most suitable treatment. We may issue a prescription in your name. You will be charged for this prescription and your first prescription delivery will be passed on to our partner pharmacy. Please note that professional codes of conduct and legal restrictions may limit the quantity and frequency of any product we and/or our partner pharmacy are permitted to supply to you.
We reserve the right to refuse, pause or cancel treatment if the following occur:
- You refuse to follow our clinical advice including reading the patient information leaflet prior to commencing any treatment; or
- You refuse to complete a blood test, including any follow-up blood test when requested to do so by our clinical team; or
- We consider your condition too high risk or complex to treat and in which case, we may share this information with your GP or other healthcare provider; and
- We consider your condition is unsuitable for treatment based on Numan’s in-house guidelines and standard operating procedures.
If your blood test results or any part of our clinical assessment indicate abnormalities that we consider potentially critical or harmful to your overall health we will contact you to let you know and advise you to seek medical attention from your existing healthcare provider, GP or hospital. It is your responsibility to be contactable in such instances and we will not be held liable in the event you do not receive or respond to our communication.
Please be aware that when completing the online consultation for the purposes of seeking testosterone deficiency treatment, we require you to disclose the gender you were assigned at birth. We require this information in order to make an assessment of your suitability for treatment.
8. Blood Tests
All at-home capillary blood tests ordered through Numan consist of:
- Delivery of a blood sample kit ("Kit") produced by a third party laboratory that includes a pre-paid envelope for you to return the test in, as well as instructions on how to take a blood sample.
- The test itself, which is carried out by a partner laboratory.
- Preparation of a report containing your personalised results and benchmarks for healthy results against the metrics you have chosen to test against. Reports are prepared internally by us.
The blood testing process itself is carried out by a partner laboratory engaged by us. We reserve the right to change the laboratory from time to time without notice.
If the sample you return cannot be tested (for example, if the sample has coagulated or been damaged), then we will send you a replacement Kit at no further cost. If that sample also cannot be tested, then we will refund you the Fee paid and advise that you visit your GP to perform the test.
As part of our Blood Testing Service, Numan may offer you a consultation with a doctor to discuss your results further.
If you have any questions about our Blood Testing Services, please email [email protected] and we will arrange a more detailed conversation with a clinician.
Testosterone Deficiency Treatment
Testosterone deficiency treatment may require the completion of a venous blood test carried out at regular intervals by our partner laboratory. This may include at home nurse visits and/or clinic visits as well as a consultation with a doctor to discuss your results further.
9. Book a phone Clinic Consultation
You can book a phone Clinic Consultation at a date and time that suits you. We shall send you an email to confirm the date and time chosen. If you are unable to make the consultation, you can cancel and receive a full refund of the fee paid provided that you do so at least 24 hours before the start of your consultation. To cancel your consultation, please click the link in the email that we send you on acceptance of your booking and follow the prompts.
For a variety of reasons, the clinician might need to cancel or postpone your consultation. If they do so and you are unable to arrange an alternative time or date that suits you, then we shall refund you the fee paid.
Your clinician will call you at the time and date selected. Please select a quiet and appropriate location for the consultation to take place.
We shall not be liable for any medical information we are unable to communicate to you if you are unable to access the consultation for any reason within your control, including your failure to use appropriate equipment or insufficient bandwidth and we shall not be required to refund you in in such circumstances. However, if anything occurs that prevents the clinician from contacting you, we shall use reasonable efforts to work with you and the clinician to rearrange the consultation for another time and date. We are not liable for the acts or omissions of the clinician during the consultation or otherwise.
Testosterone Deficiency Treatment
Testosterone deficiency treatment may require the completion of a venous blood test including a consultation with a doctor to discuss your results. As the doctor’s consultation forms part of the venous blood test, if you are unable to make the consultation or cancel for any reason, you will not be entitled to a refund.
10. Delivery of your products
We use registered delivery carriers in order to provide the best delivery service possible. Your delivery will be posted through the letterbox when possible and does not normally require a signature. It is your responsibility to ensure that nobody else can access the products delivered to you. Therefore, please be very careful if children or animals form part of your household.
There may be instances where your delivery is delayed due to circumstances out of our control. We cannot assume responsibility for these delays, but we will do everything we can to ensure that the best service is provided to you.
If your delivery has been delayed by more than 7 days, please contact us and we will issue a redelivery for your product/s free of charge.
If your delivery has been delayed being dispatched by one of our providers for any reason, you are entitled to request to cancel the delivery and receive a full refund.
11. Returns, cancellations, refunds
Please note that for safety reasons, we do not accept returns of medical products, including prescription or non-prescription medicine. If you have unwanted medicine please take it to a local pharmacy for safe disposal.
As this is the case we are unable to offer refunds for returned prescription treatments unless they fall under the below reasons.
In addition to your rights above you may return a product if it is damaged, defective, or if the wrong product has been sent to you. On some occasions we may require evidence such as a photo of damaged, defective, or wrongly received treatment. We are unable to reimburse the cost of return delivery.
You can cancel your order for prescription treatment up until the point it has been approved by a clinician.
For orders relating to non-medical products, you have 14 days to change your mind about the products beginning after the day you receive the products, unless they are split into several deliveries over different days. In this case you have until 14 days after the day you receive the last delivery to change your mind about the products. This excludes sealed products which are not suitable for return due to health or hygiene reasons (unless these items were damaged or faulty when delivered to you or have been incorrectly delivered).
If the product, including medical products, is damaged or defective, or the wrong treatment has been sent please let us know and we will either replace the product, or refund you the amount paid by you for the product in question.
You must return the product to us in accordance with our reasonable request as soon as possible after informing us that the product is damaged or defective. We are happy to accept requests for refunds for any products that are damaged, defective or have been issued in error, for up to 2 months after you received your item.
If you are entitled to a refund, the price paid for the product will be refunded to you by the same method that you used to pay. Refunds will be made once the matter is settled between our customer care team and yourself. You should expect your refund to reach your bank within 4-5 working days of it being issued.
If our delivery provider returns your parcel to us for any reason, we will keep it for you for 4 weeks and contact you about rescheduling delivery free of charge. If you do not reply to our attempts to get in touch with you within that 4-week timeframe, we are required to destroy the medication.
12. Use of the products
You are responsible for checking that the medicine is the correct medicine prescribed by us and that such medicine is not damaged in any way. Do not consume any medicine which is not the medicine prescribed or which is damaged on arrival. Instead you should contact us and we shall resupply or refund you as set out above.
All product information is for educational purposes and we make no assurances or guarantees as to its completeness, accuracy, or whether it is up to date.
Always read all product packaging and labels carefully before use.
If you purchase medicine in advance, please always check the date on the box to make sure it’s not out of date.
Please make sure that only you have access to your medicines.
In the event of a medical emergency, call a doctor or 999 immediately.
All unused medication should be returned to your local pharmacy for safe disposal.
13. Cancellation by us
We may cancel your order if:
- We have insufficient stock to deliver the products you have ordered.
- We do not deliver to your delivery address.
- We cannot obtain authorisation for your payment.
- We cannot verify your identity and you have ordered a prescription-only medicine.
- We cannot verify that you are aged 18 or over.
- One or more of the products you ordered was listed at an incorrect price due to an error in typing or an error in the pricing information received by us from our suppliers.
If we do cancel your order we will notify you by email and will refund you all sums paid within 30 days. We will not be obliged to offer any additional compensation for any disappointment suffered.
14. Our responsibility to you
All of the content on Numan is to be considered general information and not intended to amount to medical advice. If you are seeking medical advice, you should contact a doctor or clinician and refrain from taking any action regarding your health based on the content of Numan. If you have any questions, please email [email protected] and we will arrange for you to have a consultation with a clinician.
We cannot accept liability for any damages which result from:
- Your failure to provide (and continuously maintain) complete, truthful, and accurate information in your patient record, as well as in any online consultation you take with us and in any other information you give us.
- Your failure to follow advice given by Numan, or to pass on relevant information to your regular healthcare provider.
We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents, or subcontractors, and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
You agree that our service does not replace your general healthcare provider.
15. Making a complaint
Please see our Make a Complaint page.
If any provision of these Terms of Sale is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable, then such provision shall be construed, as nearly as possible, to reflect the intentions of the parties and all other provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
Our failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms of Sale shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
These Terms of Sale, the subject matter and formation, are governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have non-exclusive jurisdiction. However, if you are a resident of Northern Ireland you may also bring proceedings in Northern Ireland, and if you are resident of Scotland, you may also bring proceedings in Scotland.
17. Numan Money Back Guarantee
We’re committed to providing you with satisfactory service. If you’re not happy with our hair loss service, you may submit a claim under our money back guarantee. You may get your money back if the following conditions are satisfied:
- You’re a first time user of Numan’s hair loss service;
- You begin your treatment plan after 1 April 2022;
- On the day you start your treatment plan (but before the first use of any products included in your treatment plan) and then every 30 days during treatment, you must take a photo or set of photos following the guidelines located on the Numan website. Do not send the photos to us when you take them; instead you should store the photos on your own device. You must apply or use the products in your treatment plan strictly in accordance with the user guidelines for each product;
- Then, if you’re not happy with our hair loss service 180 days from when we notify you that a Numan clinician has accepted you for our hair loss treatment, you may submit a claim under our guarantee. You must submit your claim to our customer care team between 180 and 210 days after the receipt of that notification. We will carefully consider your claim and if we ask you to do so, you will upload your photos to our website, or send them to us via email; and
- If we agree that your treatment plan has been less than satisfactory, we shall notify you accordingly and refund to you the price paid for the treatment within 30 days of such notification. We shall refund you using the same method you used to pay for the treatment. We shall not be liable for any disappointment suffered if you do not experience any hair growth.
We may reject your claim if:
- We reasonably believe that we’ve delivered a satisfactory service which aligns with your treatment plan.
- We ask for your photos, and you either do not send us the correct number of photos in accordance with our guidelines or the photos otherwise do not comply with the requirements of our guidelines, for example they were taken from the wrong angle, orientation or the hairstyle is not appropriate or the photos are unclear.
- Your subscription is paused at any time during your treatment plan.
- You have purchased or used any hair loss treatment from us before.
- We reasonably believe that the photos you send have been digitally altered, are not of the same person or your claim is otherwise dishonest or fraudulent.
- We may withdraw this guarantee at any time for new patients of our hair loss service.
- Please also note that our hair loss service is not designed to encourage hair growth if the hair loss relates to illness, or treatment of that illness, including autoimmune disease or cancer; stress; or for late-stage hair loss.
18. Modification of our services, products and prices
Prices for our products and services are subject to change without notice.
We reserve the right at any time to modify or discontinue any of our products and/or services without notice.
We are not liable to you or any third party for any modification, price change, suspension, or discontinuation of our products and/or services.
Last updated: 19 June 2023