(Erectile dysfunction treatment)
Clinically proven to help erections stay harder for longer, Tadalafil gives you the freedom to enjoy sex without setbacks. It contains the same active ingredient as branded alternatives (but comes at a lower price because you aren’t paying for the brand name) and lasts for 36 hours - allowing you to enjoy sex without needing to take a tablet immediately beforehand.
If you’re new to Numan, here's how we do things.
We’re regulated by the Care Quality Commission.
Our team of clinicians and health experts can support you along every step of your treatment journey.
All our deliveries are free, discreet, and usually arrive within 24 hours.
Tadalafil: the science
- When you get aroused, your body produces a molecule called cGMP which helps to stimulate an erection by increasing blood flow to the penis.
- However, an enzyme known as PDE5 normally breaks cGMP down. This restricts blood flow to the penis and causes the erection to subside.
- Tadalafil blocks the action of PDE5, allowing more blood to flow into the penis. The resulting erection is firmer and usually lasts long enough to allow for satisfying sex.
Related ED treatments
There’s more than one solution to erectile dysfunction. Take a look at our erectile dysfunction treatments to find the one most suited to your needs and lifestyle.
£1.29 per tablet Save 100%
£4.25 per tablet Save 100%
£11.25 per tablet Save 100%
How Numan works
It’s healthcare without the hassle.
Free online consultation
Once complete, your consultation will be reviewed by our clinicians. Most prescriptions are approved the same day.
Free 24-hour delivery
If your treatment is approved, it’ll be posted to you discreetly within 24 hours.
Have any questions or want to change your medication? Speak to our clinicians and they’ll be able to help.
If you’re not happy with the service, or simply don’t need treatment anymore, you can cancel anytime.
Tadalafil: facts you need to know
Straightforward answers to frequently asked questions.
PDE5 inhibitors are the most common type of ED treatment available. Other popular PDE5 inhibitors include:
You can learn more about how PDE5 inhibitors work in our Book of Erections, which is a comprehensive guide on erections, erectile dysfunction, and erectile dysfunction treatments.
Tadalafil 10mg and tadalafil 20mg are ideal options for men who don't want to take a tablet every time they have sex. This option involves some planning - as you need to take a tablet at least 30 minutes before you want to have sex - but the effects can last for up to 36 hours, which is why it’s sometimes known as “the weekender”.
Tadalafil 2.5mg and tadalafil 5mg (known as Tadalafil Daily) are more ideal for those who have sex frequently, such as those who are in long term relationships. This is because Tadalafil Daily keeps your body topped up with a small but constant supply of tadalafil at all times, allowing you to get an erection whenever you need one. This gives you the ability to enjoy more spontaneous sex without needing to time when to take a tablet, which is why many men prefer Tadalafil Daily over other erectile dysfunction treatments.
However, the main differences between sildenafil and tadalafil are (1) how long they take to kick in (2) how long they last. Sildenafil takes about one hour to take effect and lasts for up to four hours, while tadalafil takes around 30 minutes to kick in and keeps working for up to 36 hours.
|Time to take effect||Duration|
|Sildenafil 50mg||1 hour||4 hours|
|Tadalafil 10mg||30 minutes||36 hours|
Sildenafil and tadalafil are both effective, clinically proven ED treatments. They both help to relieve erectile dysfunction symptoms, are prescription-only ED medications, and are generally well-tolerated by most men (meaning most men usually don’t experience side effects).
If you have sex every now and then, sildenafil might be preferable as it’s used by most people on an “as and when” basis.
On the other hand, if you have sex semi-regularly but don’t want to take a tablet every time you do, tadalafil is likely to be a better erectile dysfunction treatment option for you as it lasts nine times longer than sildenafil.
However, if you’d like the greatest degree of freedom, you could try Tadalafil Daily: a daily ED tablet that keeps your system supplied with a small quantity of tadalafil at all times. This is ideal if you have sex more frequently (or spontaneously) and would like the freedom to have sex without needing to coordinate when to take a tablet.
It’s also recommended that you talk to our clinical team if sildenafil didn’t work for you because they may be able to adjust the dose to one that is more effective.
Nonetheless, if you’re thinking about changing your ED treatment or ED treatment dose, it’s best to seek advice from one of our clinicians.
You can do this by emailing our clinical team if you’ve received a prescription with us before, or if you’re new to Numan, you can schedule a phone consultation with one of our in-house GPs to discuss your options.
If your erectile dysfunction persists even after trying other ED tablets, please consult your doctor.
This is because getting a tadalafil prescription online allows you to receive it faster. While it may take days to see a doctor in person, getting a tadalafil prescription with us only involves taking a quick online consultation. No waiting rooms. No awkward conversations.
If your prescription is approved (which usually happens the same day), your treatment will be delivered to you for free. Your ED tablets should arrive within 24 hours of your prescription being approved, which means you shouldn’t have to wait long to receive your treatment.
However, when buying ED medicine online it’s important to make sure that the provider of the medicine is reputable, certified, and is prescribing it safely. There are many websites on the internet selling counterfeit medication and flogging ED treatments to people who are vulnerable (such as those with medical conditions that make it unsafe for them to take erectile dysfunction tablets).
Therefore, you should always look out for the following things when buying an ED treatment online:
- CQC registration. The Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates all health and social care services in England. It ensures healthcare providers are delivering safe, effective, and high-quality services to their users. We’re registered with and regulated by the CQC, and we only ever prescribe licensed, clinically proven ED medications.
- An online consultation. All reputable providers of erectile dysfunction medicine will make you take an online consultation before purchasing any ED treatment online. This is to ensure the medication is safe for you to take and does not interact with any medication you are taking.
- ID verification. The General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) requires all online pharmacies to verify the identity of those who wish to get an ED treatment prescription online. This is both for security reasons and to make sure the treatment is safe for you to take.
The bottom line: it’s perfectly safe to buy tadalafil online (as well as other ED medications) provided that the company is reputable, regulated, and has appropriate safeguarding procedures in place to make sure you can buy it safely (such as an online consultation and ID verification).
It’s worth noting that tadalafil may take longer to kick in if it’s taken with a heavy meal. Therefore, it’s recommended that you plan when to take your tadalafil for the best results.
A classic example of a well-known generic medicine is paracetamol. It’s sold under a variety of brand names, but no matter which brand name is used, the active ingredient is always the same: paracetamol.
Branding a medicine costs pharmaceutical companies huge amounts of money, and this cost is often shifted on to consumers in the form of higher prices. Generic medicines, however, are unbranded - which means these costs do not get passed on to the consumer. Therefore, generic medicines are almost always cheaper than their branded alternatives (even though they contain the same active ingredients and work in the same way).
Tadalafil safety information
The following safety information is intended to help you take tadalafil as safely and effectively as possible. Please read it before taking tadalafil to ensure it is safe for you to take.
How tadalafil works
Tadalafil works by helping to relax and open up the blood vessels in your penis, allowing for increased blood flow. This means that when you are sexually aroused, you can achieve a harder and longer-lasting erection.
If you’re interested in understanding the science behind erections and how tadalafil works in more detail, check out our Book of Erections, which has everything you need to know about erections and more.
Don’t take tadalafil if:
- You have had an allergic reaction to tadalafil or any similar medications in the past.
- You have low blood pressure.
- You are taking medications that contain nitrates (usually for chest pain).
- You are using amyl nitrites (“poppers”).
- You have recently had a heart attack or a stroke.
- You have a serious heart or liver condition.
- You have a history of non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy (NAION).
- You are taking riociguat, a medication used for pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Tadalafil may not be suitable for you if you:
- Have a deformity of your penis, such as Peyronie’s disease.
- Have a serious liver problem.
- Have a serious kidney problem.
- Have a heart condition, including left ventricular outflow obstruction.
- Have sickle cell anaemia, leukaemia or multiple myeloma.
Tadalafil should only be used by men over the age of 18 who have erectile dysfunction. It should not be used with other treatments for erectile dysfunction. If you aren’t sure whether you have any of the conditions listed above, please consult your doctor.
What to expect
Taking tadalafil doesn’t result in an instantaneous erection. Tadalafil starts working 30 minutes after you take it, and the effects last for 36 hours. This means that when you are sexually aroused or stimulated within those 36 hours after you take it, you can expect to have a hard and long-lasting erection.
Recommended starting dose
The recommended starting dose for tadalafil is 10mg taken once per day, as needed. If you feel the effect of tadalafil is not strong enough, feel free to contact us and we can advise you further.
You should not take more than one dose of tadalafil within 24 hours.It’s worth noting that tadalafil doesn’t alter libido or sexual desire. It also doesn’t have an effect on your testosterone levels.
Possible side effects of tadalafil
If you experience any of the following serious (but uncommon) side effects, you should stop taking tadalafil and seek urgent medical attention:
- An allergic reaction - symptoms include rash, swelling of the lips, throat and eyelids, sudden difficulty in breathing or wheezing, dizziness, collapse.
- Chest pains - you should not use nitrate-containing medication to treat this.
- A prolonged erection lasting more than four hours, which may be painful - this is a medical emergency and you should visit A&E as soon as possible
- Sudden loss of vision.
Some of the most commonly reported side effects of tadalafil are:
- Back pain.
- Muscle aches.
- Pain in arms and legs.
- Nasal congestion/stuffiness.
- Feeling hot or flushed, including facial flushing.
Always read the Patient Information Leaflet enclosed with your tadalafil. It contains other important safety information as well as a complete list of possible side effects.