Fact: premature ejaculation is the most common ejaculation problem men experience. However, despite it being very common, many men still feel frustrated when it happens.
Nowadays there are a variety of premature ejaculation treatments men can use to regain control over when they ejaculate. They’re usually compact so that they can be used discreetly and some PE treatments are pretty fast-acting so they don’t interrupt intimate moments.
What is premature ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation is when you ejaculate sooner than you or your sexual partner would like. There are two types of premature ejaculation: “lifelong” and “acquired”.
Men with lifelong (primary) premature ejaculation experience it since their first sexual encounter. It happens during almost every sexual experience and is believed to be caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain.
On the other hand, acquired (secondary) premature ejaculation can occur at any time in a man’s life and is usually caused by external factors (e.g. relationship issues or medication) and emotional states such as stress, anxiety, and depression.
It’s normal for men to experience premature ejaculation at least a few times in their lives. However, if it persists and occurs every time you have sex, then it’s worth having a look at some of the premature ejaculation treatments below to help keep it under control.
Priligy is a premature ejaculation treatment that contains the active ingredient dapoxetine. Dapoxetine is clinically proven to help men with premature ejaculation last up to three times longer in bed. This is because it increases the activity of serotonin in your nervous system, which helps to delay ejaculation.
It’s a small tablet that is taken before sex and takes 1-2 hours to kick in. Priligy takes slightly longer to take effect than other PE treatments, but some people prefer taking a tablet over using other methods of treating premature ejaculation (such as spraying or wiping a PE treatment on the penis) because it’s quick and convenient to take.
Delay Wipes are a rapid treatment for premature ejaculation. They’re small wipes that you gently rub along the penis to slightly reduce sensitivity, allowing you to enjoy longer-lasting lovemaking. Delay Wipes only take 10 seconds to start working, meaning they take work much faster than premature ejaculation treatments like Priligy, which takes 1-2 hours to take effect. This greatly reduces the need to plan ahead and means you can use them more spontaneously.
Delay Spray is another discreet and convenient premature ejaculation treatment. Like Delay Wipes, it works by reducing sensitivity in the penis just enough to prevent overstimulation without compromising pleasure. By gently numbing the penis in this way, Delay Spray helps to extend the time it takes you to ejaculate so you can keep going when it matters most.
Alternative premature ejaculation solutions
Tablets, sprays, and wipes are not the only way to treat premature ejaculation. There are also a variety of methods and techniques you can use to regain control over when you ejaculate.
- The “stop-start” technique: Also known as “edging”, the stop-start technique involves bringing yourself to the brink of orgasm and stopping just before you ejaculate. Doing this can help to train you to develop control over when you orgasm and, in turn, make it easier to avoid prematurely ejaculating during sex.
- The “squeeze” technique: Squeezing the end of the penis just before ejaculation can help to delay orgasm. However, as the penis is delicate, it’s best not to squeeze too hard. Squeezing too hard can damage the penis or cause pain, so this technique should be practised with care.
- Counselling: Sometimes, premature ejaculation is caused by psychological issues such as anxiety. Anxiety about sexual performance can affect how quickly you ejaculate, so attending therapy sessions with a sex therapist can help to alleviate feelings of anxiety and give you greater confidence when having sex.
The bottom line
There are many quick and convenient ways to treat premature ejaculation. Premature ejaculation tablets like Priligy can be taken a few hours before sex to help you last up to three times longer. Likewise, topical treatments like Delay Spray and Delay Wipes can be applied directly to the penis to slightly reduce sensation and keep you in the game until you’re ready to ejaculate. Alongside these premature ejaculation medicines, you can also try other methods and techniques to help you last longer in bed, such as the “stop-start” technique, the “squeeze” technique, and psychological counselling.
- 3 reasons why you should look after your prostate
- The 3 types of ejaculation problems (yes, 3!)
- Manopause: is a ‘midlife crisis’ actually a sign of male menopause?
- 3 exercises to combat premature ejaculation