(Hair loss treatment)
Regaine contains minoxidil, a medicine for hair loss that has been clinically proven to slow male pattern baldness and stimulate hair regrowth in men. It can make hairs appear thicker and fuller by increasing the diameter of the hair shaft, and improve scalp coverage by reversing the shrinkage of hair follicles.
¹ Claim a full refund between 180-210 days from order approval if treatment is not effective at stabilising or reversing hair loss. First time users only. Full Ts&Cs.
We’re regulated by the Care Quality Commission.
Discreet and free delivery
Discreet packaging and free next-day delivery; shipped as soon as your order’s approved by one of our clinicians.
Our team of clinicians and health experts can support you along every step of your treatment journey.
Regaine: what to expect
There is likely to be little change for the first month or two as hair regrowth is a naturally slow process.
After two to four months, hair loss should start to slow down and newly regrown hair should begin to emerge.
Beyond four months, hair loss should slow significantly and thicker, fuller hairs should begin to fill in patches of thinning hair.
Related treatments for hair loss
There’s more than one hair loss solution out there. Take a look at our hair loss treatments to find the one most suited to your needs and lifestyle.
£36.00 per bottle Save 100%
The Numan Money-Back Guarantee
Finding a hair loss treatment that works best for you shouldn’t leave you tearing your hair out (that would be counterproductive, to say the least).
That’s why we created the Numan Money-Back Guarantee.
If your treatment doesn’t stabilise or reverse your hair loss after 180 days*, we’ll give you a full refund. Your hair loss journey should be an enjoyable and rewarding experience, and we want to support you every step of the way by making it as convenient as possible to find the right hair loss treatment for your needs.
*180 days from the date your treatment was approved by one of our clinicians.
How Numan works
It’s healthcare without the hassle.
Free online consultation
Once complete, your consultation will be reviewed by our clinicians. Most prescriptions are approved the same day.
Have any questions or want to change your medication? Speak to our clinicians and they’ll be able to help.
Free 24-hour delivery
If your treatment is approved, it’ll be posted to you discreetly within 24 hours.
If you’re not happy with the service, or simply don’t need treatment anymore, you can cancel anytime.
Regaine: facts you need to know
Straightforward answers to frequently asked questions.
Although the exact process by which minoxidil works is not fully understood, it helps to slow and reverse hair loss in the following ways:
- It increases blood flow to hair follicles.
- It stimulates and prolongs the growth stage of the hair cycle.
- It increases the size and diameter of hair follicles.
You should begin to notice hair regrowth after two months of continuous Regaine use. Hair growth is naturally a slow process, which is why it takes a few months for regrowth to become noticeable. The best results are usually observed after four months of treatment.
Regaine is a brand name used by Johnson & Johnson. Unbranded minoxidil (known as “generic minoxidil”) can also be used to treat hair loss. Both Regaine and unbranded minoxidil are available over-the-counter, meaning you don’t need a prescription to buy them. Usually, generic minoxidil is the cheaper hair loss treatment option because it’s unbranded.
Both Regaine and generic minoxidil help to reduce and reverse hair loss caused by male pattern baldness. The main difference between the two is that Regaine is available as a foam, whereas generic minoxidil is almost always sold as a liquid solution. Regaine foam also comes in two strengths: 2% minoxidil (Regaine regular strength) and 5% minoxidil (Regaine extra strength). Generic minoxidil is usually available in 5% strength, but can also be sold at 6% strength as an unlicensed* hair loss treatment.
*The term “unlicensed” here refers to a medicine that is a different formulation to the original licensed medicine (e.g. in this case, minoxidil 6% is unlicensed because it is 1% stronger than original licensed minoxidil, which is 5%).
For the best regrowth results, it’s recommended that Regaine is used twice a day (once in the morning and once at night).
To use Regaine:
In the morning
- Make sure the scalp is completely dry before applying Regaine.
- Aim the spray pump over the centre of the bald area of the scalp.
- Press the pump once and spread the Regaine with your fingertips to cover the bald area.
- Repeat a further five times to apply a dose of 1ml of the solution.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after use.
- Perform steps 1-5 as described above.
A full list of warnings and precautions is contained within the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) included with your treatment, which you should always read before using Regaine for the first time.
For most men, it takes about two or more months for hair regrowth to become noticeable when using Regaine. However, the time it takes for hair to regrow is different for everyone, so it may take longer or shorter for some people to see results.
Note that some slight hair loss may occur when you first begin treatment. This is only temporary, and happens because initial treatment causes the hair follicles to move quickly through the growth cycle until they reach the anagen (growth) stage.
If hair loss continues for more than two weeks stop using Regaine and consult a doctor.
To help you maintain your progress, we’ll send you a new box of Regaine every month so you don’t have to worry about running out.
If you do forget to apply your daily doses of Regaine (once in the morning and once at night), do not double the dose to make up for the ones you missed. Instead, apply it as normal the following day.
Regaine for Men Extra Strength safety information
Regaine for Men Extra Strength (minoxidil 5%) scalp solution is a cutaneous solution to be applied to the scalp. For external use only.
What Regaine for Men Extra Strength is used for
Regaine for Men Extra Strength is used to treat common hereditary hair loss in men aged 18-65 years. It is thought that it works by aiding the blood flow to the cells in your scalp which grow hair. The exact process by which this occurs is not known.
What Regaine for Men Extra Strength contains
Regaine for Men Extra Strength medicine contains minoxidil 50 mg/ml. It also contains ethanol (alcohol), propylene glycol and water. Each bottle contains 50 ml of solution — sufficient for 1 month of treatment. 3 different applicators (the pump spray, extended spray-tip, and rub-on applicators) are in the pack. The best applicator for you is outlined later in the “How to apply Regaine for Men Extra Strength” section of this page.
How to tell if Regaine for Men Extra Strength is suitable for you
Hereditary hair loss is recognisable because:
- You have a distinct hair loss pattern (a balding crown, receding hairline, thinning hair, etc.).
- It starts gradually and progresses.
- You have a family history of hair loss.
- No other symptoms are present with your hair loss.
Regaine for Men Extra Strength works best in men with hair loss or thinning at the top of the scalp.
Those who are younger, those who have been losing hair for a short period of time or those who have a small area of baldness are likely to respond best to Regaine for Men Extra Strength.
N.B. You are unlikely to benefit from Regaine for Men Extra Strength if you have been bald for many years or have a large area of hair loss.
When Regaine for Men Extra Strength should not be used
Regaine for Men Extra Strength should not be used:
- If you suffer from a problem with blood pressure.
- If you have any condition that affects your scalp including sunburn and psoriasis or if you use other creams, ointments, lotions etc. used to treat scalp conditions e.g. dithranol, tretinoin, corticosteroids (steroids) and petrolatum products (soft paraffin) or have any kind of dressing or bandage on your scalp.
- For sudden, unexpected hair loss which may be linked to thyroid or other medical problems.
- Total baldness or complete loss of all body hair.
- Hair loss caused by drug treatment.
- If you have a shaved head.
- If you are allergic to minoxidil, ethanol or propylene glycol.
- If you are under 18 or over 65 years.
- If you are a woman.
If you are still uncertain as to why you are losing your hair, please see your doctor.
N.B. If you suffer from heart disease (including abnormal heart rhythms or rates, angina or chest pains) and/or circulation disorders you should seek the advice of your doctor before using Regaine for Men Extra Strength.
There is a potential risk that minoxidil, the active ingredient in Regaine for Men Extra Strength, may interact with certain blood pressure medicines called “vasodilators”, and alter their effect. You should consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking such medication.
If too much minoxidil passes through the skin into the bloodstream it can cause side effects such as rapid heartbeat, faintness or dizziness, or swollen hands or feet. When Regaine for Men Extra Strength is used as recommended it is extremely unlikely that any of these side effects will occur. There is however a chance that the drug could get absorbed into the bloodstream if the medicine is overused, or if a user is unusually sensitive to minoxidil, or if it is used when there is a scalp condition (such as psoriasis) present. For this reason, it is very important that you use Regaine for Men Extra Strength as recommended and follow the advice on this page.
Using Regaine for Men Extra Strength
What results can be expected?
Regaine for Men Extra Strength will not work for everyone and it is not possible to predict how you will respond. Hair growth is a slow process hence Regaine for Men Extra Strength takes a few months to work.
In clinical trials, three out of five men reported hair regrowth after 48 weeks of continual use of Regaine for Men Extra Strength. Hair regrowth should become noticeable after 2 months. Hair growth will be soft and downy at the start but should eventually become the same as normal hair. There may be a temporary increase in hair loss initially after 2-6 weeks of use. This is likely to be a result of the hair regrowth cycle and should subside within a couple of weeks. If shedding persists for longer than 2 weeks you should stop using Regaine for Men Extra Strength and consult your doctor.
If there is no hair re-growth after 12 months it is very unlikely that you will respond and you should stop using Regaine for Men Extra Strength. You should consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are concerned at any time during treatment.
N.B. You should continue to use Regaine for Men Extra Strength every day if hair regrowth occurs, to maintain regrowth. If you stop using Regaine for Men Extra Strength, regrown hair may disappear within 3-4 months.
How to apply Regaine for Men Extra Strength
The solution is flammable. Do not use while smoking, or near any naked flame or strong heat source. Avoid exposure of the container and contents to naked flames during use, storage and disposal.
Regaine for Men Extra Strength must only be used on the scalp. Before using check the scalp is normal and healthy. Do not use Regaine for Men Extra Strength on other parts of the body. If accidentally applied to any other part of the body, rinse thoroughly with water.
Avoid contact with the eyes, broken skin and sensitive areas. If accidentally applied to these parts wash with lots of water.
Your hair and scalp should be thoroughly dry before using Regaine for Men Extra Strength.
Apply a 1ml dose to the affected area/s of the scalp twice daily (with a 12-hour interval in between) using the appropriate applicator. Each applicator is designed to accurately release a 1ml dose when used as described on pages 6, 7 and 8. Do not use more than 2ml Regaine for Men Extra Strength daily. Exceeding the recommended dose will not re-grow your hair any more quickly and you may risk side effects.
Regaine for Men Extra Strength should be massaged lightly into the scalp after application.
Always wash your hands thoroughly after applying Regaine for Men Extra Strength and rinse other areas that have come into contact with Regaine for Men Extra Strength.
Which applicator should you use?
The method of application depends on the degree of baldness / thinning and the type of applicator used.
Pump spray applicator
- This applicator works best for applying Regaine for Men Extra Strength to large areas of the scalp.
- Remove large outer cap; remove smaller inner cap and discard it.
- Insert the spray applicator into the bottle and screw on firmly.
- After aiming the pump toward the centre of the bald area of the scalp, press the pump once and spread Regaine for Men Extra Strength with fingertips to cover all of the bald area. Repeat a further 5 times, to apply a dose of 1ml of solution. Avoid breathing spray mist. Place outer cap on bottle when not in use.
Extended spray-tip applicator
- This applicator works best for applying Regaine for Men Extra Strength to small areas of the scalp, or under hair.
- The pump spray applicator must be on the bottle to use the extended tip applicator. Follow steps 2 and 3 as for the pump spray applicator above.
- Remove small spray head from top of pump spray applicator; fit the extended spray applicator onto the spray shaft and push down firmly. Remove the small cap on the end of the extended tip.
- After aiming the applicator toward the centre of the bald area of the scalp, press the pump once and spread Regaine for Men Extra Strength with fingertips to cover all of the bald area. Repeat a further 5 times to apply a dose of 1 ml solution. Avoid breathing spray mist. Replace the small cap on end of extended tip when not in use.
- This applicator works best for applying Regaine for Men Extra Strength to small areas of the scalp.
- Remove large outer cap; remove small inner cap and discard it.
- Insert the rub-on applicator into the bottle and screw on firmly.
- Holding the bottle upright, squeeze the bottle to fill the upper chamber to the black line. The chamber contains one full dose (1ml of solution).
- Holding the bottle upside down, rub the applicator on the bald scalp area until the chamber is completely empty. Place large outer cap on bottle when not in use.
Side effects of Regaine for Men Extra Strength
Stop using Regaine for Men Extra Strength if you get any of the following:
- Blood pressure changes.
- Rapid heartbeat.
- New or worsening pain in the chest.
- Dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting.
- Unexplained rapid weight gain of more than 2 kg or 5 pounds.
- Swelling or puffiness of the hands or feet.
- Persistent redness or irritation of the scalp.
You may find that Regaine for Men Extra Strength irritates your skin (e.g. local redness, itching, dryness, scalp flaking). This might be due to the presence of propylene glycol in the product. Although this might only be a temporary effect, stop using the product if it persists.
Stop using Regaine for Men Extra Strength if you notice changes in hair colour and/or texture.
Regaine for Men Extra Strength contains ethanol (alcohol) which will cause burning and irritation if you get it in the eye. If you get Regaine for Men Extra Strength in your eye, mouth or on a cut or damaged skin, wash the area well with lots of cool tap water.
Unwanted non-scalp hair has occasionally been reported. Always wash your hands thoroughly after application and if accidentally applied to parts of the body other than the scalp, rinse thoroughly with water.
If anyone, including a child, swallows any Regaine for Men Extra Strength, take them to a hospital immediately (with the Regaine for Men Extra Strength bottle if possible, as the doctor may like to have some idea of how much they have swallowed).
If you experience any other side effects not mentioned already, you should consult your doctor.
How to store Regaine for Men Extra Strength
Check the expiry date that is printed on the package. If it is out of date, or becomes out of date during use, tell your pharmacist.
There is enough Regaine for Men Extra Strength in each bottle for 1 month of treatment. Keep the bottle in a safe place, below 25°C (normal room temperature).
Keep out of the reach and sight of children. When empty, dispose of the bottle safely. To dispose of a partially used bottle, empty the contents as much as you can into a sink, and wash away with running water. Never try to burn a Regaine for Men Extra Strength bottle.