The prostate is perhaps the most underrated organ in the male body. It’s a small, walnut-shaped gland located just below the bladder and it produces one of the special fluids that make up semen (the liquid that transports sperm).
Many men, however, are unaware of how a healthy prostate benefits them. Part of the reason for this is because it’s rarely spoken about. For example, when was the last time you heard someone openly talk about their prostate? It’s not exactly the kind of thing that comes out in small talk, is it?
So, if you want to know exactly what your prostate does for you (and your sex life!) then keep reading because we’ve created a list of 4 reasons why you should look after your prostate health.
1. It keeps you fertile
Perhaps the most important benefit of having a healthy prostate is that it helps to keep you fertile. It makes a liquid called prostatic fluid, which contains important enzymes and hormones that help sperm cells work properly.
This is crucial if you’re trying for a baby. Sperm cells need to function at their best when they make their voyage to the egg. It’s a long journey and it’s one that’s fraught with obstacles. For example, when a man ejaculates inside a woman, her cervical mucus filters out the least suitable sperm cells - such as those with a poor shape and those that can’t swim properly.
Therefore, it’s a good idea to look after your prostate to ensure your sperm have the best conditions to thrive in and function properly. Many people use prostate supplements like Prostate Support to help themselves maintain a healthy prostate. This is because they’re usually packed with ingredients that help to support the prostate so it can work at its best.
If fertility is something that is important to you, then you may also want to try a fertility supplement such as Fertility Support. Fertility supplements give your body the nutrients it needs to produce normal sperm that functions as it should. Again, this helps to give your sperm the best chances if you’re trying to conceive.
2. It helps you ejaculate properly
Ejaculation is a surprisingly complicated affair. When a man reaches the point of climax, it triggers a cascade of involuntary spasms within his body. Muscles, tubes, and glands all twitch in harmony to achieve the final result: ejaculation.
During this process, the prostate acts as a gatekeeper. The muscles in the prostate not only help to push semen out of the urethra (the tube that runs from the bladder to the tip of the penis), but they also help to seal it off so that no semen enters the bladder.
This helps to prevent a dry orgasm (known formally as retrograde ejaculation), a phenomenon in which little or no semen leaves the penis because it travels back into the bladder instead. While this is not serious, it can make it harder to conceive if you’re trying for a baby. Therefore, it’s important to keep your prostate in good nick if you want to maintain normal fertility.
3. It can enhance your sex life
Now, men, we know this might sound wild...but read the next few sentences with an open mind. Stimulating your prostate can actually lead to mind-blowing, full-body orgasms.
Prostate stimulation might not be up everyone’s street, but for those who enjoy it, they really seem to enjoy it. And for others who are curious, why not? You only live once.
There are many ways to stimulate your prostate; you could get a partner to do it, you can do it yourself, or you could use a prostate massage device. Whichever way you do it, it’s likely to spice things up and give you new insights into how your body works.
How to look after your prostate health
Now that you know why it’s important to look after your prostate, it’s probably best that you learn how to look after your prostate. There are various things you can do to maintain good prostate health:
1. Take a prostate supplement: prostate supplements are a convenient way to get many of the nutrients you need to maintain a healthy prostate. Prostate Support is a good example, as it’s filled with ingredients like saw palmetto that helps to support a normal prostate and pumpkin seed extract to maintain normal bladder function.
2. Eat healthily: it’s recommended that you eat a healthy, balanced diet if you want to properly look after your prostate. For optimal prostate health, it’s best to eat lots of fruit and veg, wholegrains, and sources of healthy fats (such as nuts). Conversely, you should avoid processed foods, sugary foods, and eating too much salt.
3. Exercise: research has shown that men who exercise more frequently are less likely to experience benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) - also known as prostate enlargement. BPH can cause urination problems and is usually very inconvenient for men who have it. However, researchers found that even low to moderate-intensity exercise can have a beneficial impact on prostate health.
The bottom line
The prostate plays many key roles in the body. It helps to keep you fertile, helps you ejaculate properly, and can even enhance your sex life. As it has so many essential functions, it’s important that you look after yours. There are many ways to do so, including taking a prostate supplement, eating healthily, and exercising regularly.
- Hypothyroidism in men: everything you need to know
- Are blue balls real? We asked an expert
- Manopause: is a ‘midlife crisis’ actually a sign of male menopause?
- 3 exercises to combat premature ejaculation